What is Greek Mountain Tea?
Greek Mountain Tea is a valuable herb that thrives high up in the Greek mountains. It has a variety of different names also known as Tsai Tou Vounou, Shepherds tea and more commonly ironwort (sideritis) It's said that the name was given after the healing effect of the plant on the wounds caused by iron weapons.
According to Greek mythology, the centaur Chiron imparted his knowledge and his wisdom to his students about the use of herbs as treatment of various diseases. Caffeine-free, It is also one of the few herbs that have no known side-effects due to overconsumption.
Our tea is certified organic and grown on Mount Pindos in the village of Paramero at an altitude of 1300 meters above sea level. Collected by hand by the small producer Vassilis Anagnostou and processed on the mountain in an area free from intensive agricultural holdings and pesticides.
6 Top Benefits of Greek Mountain Tea
Packed with vitamins, these rejuvenating organic flowers from the Greek mountains have been scientifically shown to offer a multitude of health benefits and therapeutic properties. Such as antiviral, antimicrobial, anti-fungal and antioxidant qualities.
1. Digestive AidIt stimulates gastric secretions, so it works well as a digestive. It is also ideal for treating inflammations of the stomach, intestines and the urogenital system, due to its astringent properties.
2. Anti-AgeingGreek Mountain Tea is packed with antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory and immune system boosting properties as potent as Green Tea.
Slow down the ageing process by inducing cellular antioxidant defences and preventing oxidative stress such as UV radiation & environmental pollution. The added bonus is it's also Caffeine free! (1)
3. Anti-InflammatoryResearchers have found that all Sideritis species plants were shown to have anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-spasmodic properties. They were rich in a number of natural antioxidants, including flavonoids, and almost all species also contained essential oils. (2)
4. Immune Booster
Used as an ancient flu remedy, drinking two to three cups of mountain tea every day is thought to help prevent or fight flu symptoms and stress-related ailments such as chest infections, overwhelm, fatigue and anxiety.
5. Lowers Blood Pressure
Clinical trials have found that extracts made from Sideritis helped lower blood pressure levels increasing oxygen levels in the blood while helping blood vessels to relax. (3)
6. Anxiety and Alzheimer Prevention
Flavonoids found in Greek Mountain tea have been shown to have an effect on HMO’s inhibition in the human brain. Conditions such as anxiety, depression, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease are associated with High levels of HMO in the brain.
Improving memory loss and cognitive health Sideritis scardica extracts demonstrated pharmacological activity against characteristics of Alzheimer’s disease. (4)
German research has strongly indicated that it can prevent or even reverse Alzheimer’s disease: Neurology Professor Jens Pahnke from the Otto Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg in Germany said of his research: “By drinking mountain tea for six months, patients with Alzheimer disease reduced the disease to the level it was nine months ago and then it stabilised.” He added: “I had a patient who had a memory and orientation problem and had reached a point where he could neither go to the toilet on his own. I gave him Greek mountain tea for two months, and now he has improved to such an extent that he is preparing to go on holiday with a friend in the Alps!” (5)
How to Brew Greek Mountain Tea:
- Take 3 to 4 stems of the flower and steep in a teapot as you would with any loose leaf tea
- Add (almost) Boiling water 95 degrees is perfect or boil your kettle and let it sit for a minute.
- Allow the tea to steep for 5-10 minutes, depending on how strong you’d like your tea.
When to Drink:
Brew a cup on a warm sunny day or the coldest winter night, when you feel 100% or when you are feeling a cold or flu coming. Greek mountain tea can be drunk any time of the day, first thing in the morning to just before bed. With all the amazing benefits we have been drinking at least 2 cups a day!